We are calling all Southeast Asian documentary filmmakers to take part in a collaboration between Tribeca Film Institute's IF/Then Shorts and Docs by the Sea. We are looking for short documentary projects that explore a range of socially, politically and culturally relevant topics through the lens of young and emerging storytellers from Southeast Asia.
Projects can be in any stage of pre-production, production, or post-production.
From the open call, 15 projects will be selected to participate in a 3-day Story Development Lab in Jakarta (11-13 June 2020).
At the end of the Development Lab, 7 of those original 15 projects will move on to participate in the Docs by the Sea Lab (21-24 August 2020) and Docs by the Sea Pitching Forum (26-28 August 2020) in Bali. All selected participants will pitch their stories to key decision-makers at the IF/Then Pitch Competition, and will also have a chance for one-on-one meetings with broadcasters, commissioning editors, film fund organizations, and film festival programmers during Docs by the Sea.
The top two projects (as selected by an industry jury) will receive a USD $20,000 production grant, plus a year of mentorship and s and an opportunity to participate in the IF/Then distribution initiative.
Stipends for travel to the Development Lab, the Pitch Lab and the Forum will be provided to participating filmmakers.
Online registration opens: 6 January 2020
Project application deadline: 6 March 2020, 11:59 PM (Western Indonesia Time, UTC +7)
Public announcement: 6 April 2020
Story Development Lab in Jakarta: 11-13 June 2020
Docs by the Sea Lab & Forum in Bali: 21-28 August 2020
Eligible projects must meet the following criteria:
- Be an original short documentary with a final duration (TRT) under 30 minutes.
- Be completed within 6 months of receiving the IF/Then grant.
- Be factually accurate, follow best practices in documentary ethics, and be designed for the global audience.
- Be driven by compelling characters, with access to the characters secured.
- Be presented in English or subtitled in English.
- Have no prior distribution attached and be able to participate in the IF/Then distribution initiative.
- Filmmakers have to be passport holders of Southeast Asian nations including Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Brunei and East Timor.
IF/Then is a filmmaking initiative developed by Tribeca Film Institute. Its mission is to discover and empower more inclusive voices in short film storytelling. It also fosters multi-platform distribution and financial sustainability for more short filmmakers in a global and increasingly complex marketplace. IF/Then was developed by Tribeca Film Institute with support from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
For enquiries, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the support of: